The Modern Tradie – Tech You Need
The life of a tradesperson has changed. With services like MyBuilder, RatedPeople and Check A Trade and there are even more routes for customers to get in touch and book a job. And as technology rapidly evolves, so do those customer demands.
When it comes to the modern trade setup, you need to have a sleek-looking device, with a lot of data while you’re on the move for meeting with prospective clients in a cafe, but something that is still durable enough for the building site.
Here’s our list of top features you need for the perfect trade tech set up:
- The power to keep going. A long battery life is a must-have if you’re on the move all day, taking enquiries and receiving emails. The HTC Desire 650 offers up to 16.72 hours talk time on 3G, while the Sony Xperia XZ clocks in at up to 17.30 hours of talk time and 1210 hours on standby.
- Safety and security. Protect yourself from data loss with McAfee Multi-Access. It gives you the reassurance you need that your documents and customer data are safe. It also covers all types of devices – not only are your smartphone and tablet protected, so is your PC or Mac.
- Peace of mind. If you have a classic ‘oops’ moment on site, which causes your screen does break, we give you free accidental damage cover, with selected phones and tariffs. This option means you’ll be covered for up to 24 months, during which time you’ll be able to make one claim.
- Large screens. Crisp screen quality and size are essential for accessing Google Maps on the move or connecting with the team onsite. We’ve even heard of plumbers quoting for jobs via Facetime!
- Conference calling in your pocket. O2’s Just Call Me service offers all the functionality of conference line, from your normal mobile. All your contacts have to do is dial your mobile number to join, while you manage the rest from an app. Easy.
Ability to work on the go. With Microsoft Office 365 PC, Mac, tablet or phone: whatever you’re working on, you’ll be able to access the same documents, email, calendars, contacts and more. So it’s easy to pick up right where you left off.
Watch the video from our partners at Enterprise Nation below for an interview with Charlie Mullins, founder of the iconic Pimlico Plumbers. With over 35 years in the business he has a wealth of experience and advice: