ScaleUp 2017 – helping your business boom
On Friday 11 November the O2 Business team took part in ScaleUp 2017 – a one day conference hosted by our partners at Enterprise Nation, focussing on how to get the best out of your business and take it to the next level.
Here are some of the most impactful highlights and insights from the day:
- The event took place at The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, an excellent organisation that helps people understand that the accountancy relationship is more than ‘just tax returns’, and in fact, they are partners who are there to help your business grow! Talking to your accountant can offer a wealth of knowledge – from maximising efficiencies to ideas for navigating international expansions.
- Shamil Thakrar, co-owner of the Dishoom restaurant family, gave advice to “deepen and never dilute” your brand or its story. “Building a business is about quality not profit, the profit will come”. He also talked about his latest opening – Dishoom Kensington, which will use immersive theatre to bring the story of the restaurant to life.
- One theme running throughout all the speaker’s keynotes was to be obsessive about customer feedback and ensures it drives tangible change. Are you giving people what they need? Are you solving a problem in their lives?
- We also heard several reflections on delegation and trust. As your business scales up, owners have to accept that they are going to have to delegate and share the load. Trusting people to execute their jobs is critical.
- Pip Jamieson agrees that the number one thing that has impacted her business is her team, as “Creativity doesn’t happen in isolation,” – diversity is key to building a business, so don’t hire people with the same life experiences.
- The next step for Jamieson is expanding internationally, and in 2020 she plans to give market leader Linkedin a run for its money. Her best piece of advice for scaling up? “Happy staff are productive staff. People underestimate that a lot.” She also added that The Dots has a focus on mobile first because the majority of their audience is millennial.
- Constant innovation and investment, particularly the thousands of tiny things, create huge time efficiencies and cost savings for The Big Word translation services. Not sure where to start? Read Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation by Tim Brown, CEO of IDEO.
Were you at ScaleUp 2017? What were your favourite takeaways from the event? Send us a tweet; we’d love to hear your thoughts.